Meme Time

Helen tagged me for this meme, and I liked Scrivener's additions. I did something similar a while back on email pre-blog, but it was fun and since I don't really have anything interesting, illuminating, witty, or otherwise to say today, I thought I'd do it. Although it has been a good-ish working day so far, and yesterday was really good - I finished setting up my FAB new office.

1a. What is your full name? Not telling. Take that, Tribblites.

1b. What is your first name? Still not telling.

1c. Were you named after anyone? I'm not sure - maybe a well-known children's author. But I might have made that up because I liked her so much when I was a kid.

2. What color pants are you wearing? Khaki Shorts.

3a. What are you listening to right now? Thunder, rain (hallelujah!), cicadas, birds.

3b. What is your most embarrassing CD? John Denver and the Muppets' Christmas. But, I LOVE it and make Spousal Unit listen to it over and over and over and over at Christmas time. And I wonder why he hates the holiday season.

4. What's the last thing you ate? A whole wheat tortilla quesadilla with white cheddar cheese and a dash of smoked Spanish paprika.

5. Do you wish on stars? Sure. Why not? It can't hurt.

6. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? Indigo.

7. How is the weather right now? Trying very hard to rain just a little in a place that needs it desperately.

8. Last person you talked to on the phone? Cleis

9. Do you like the person (people) at whose site you saw this? Totally. They're my online folk.

10. How old are you today? Thirty-four

11. Favorite drink? Hard: A sweet bourbon Manhattan, particularly the ones made by my best friend. Soft: Skim Milk. Really, I swear it's true!

12a. Favorite spectator sport? Live: baseball - those stadiums always have the best hot dogs. TV: the girlie ones - swimming, ice skating, gymnastics, diving.

12b. Favorite participatory sport? Skiing or Swimming.

13. What color are your eyes? Brownish greenish yellowish.

14. Do you wear contacts? When I'm not too lazy to do it. Which is about never.

15. Siblings? Automatic? One younger brother. Lucked into? Two great sisters-in-law.

16. Favorite month? Couldn't say. Least favorite, though, that's an easy one -- February. Hands down the worst month ever invented.

17. Favorite food? Sushi. OR sauteed greens with olive oil and garlic. OR Spousal Unit's famous Gingerbread Souffle.

18. Last movie you watched? In the theater: Howl's Moving Castle. Loved it! On DVD: The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. Eh. Not so much love there. I'm a huge fan of Wes Anderson, but this one just didn't do it for me.

19. Favorite day of the year? That day where you chuck all of the things that you have to do and don't even care that you're ignoring all of the work and responsibility and totally play hookey with your favorite person and do all of your favorite things.

20. What do you do to vent anger? Anger? What is this an-ger of which you speak? Like any good Midwesterner, I deny, deny, deny, repress, repress, repress, and then cry, cry, cry.

21. Summer or winter? Fall.

22. Hugs or kisses? Yes, please!

23. Chocolate or vanilla? Again, yes please!

24. Do you like your handwriting? Not particularly.

25. Red or pink? Red. Oh, please, Red! At one point when I was in high school, my grandmother became afraid that my feminist mother was raising me too butch and so went on a "girlify Stewgad" campaign. It involved buying me all things pink for Christmas for a couple of a years in a row. Of course, I tried my hardest to meet this campaign with equally subtle strategy. First, I asked for something from the men's department -- but it was the Miami Vice-era, so a pink man's sweater was not hard to find. The next year, I though, aha! Electronics! So, I asked for a new Walkman. I don't know who she had to sleep with at Sony to find it, but yep, you guessed it -- a pink Walkman. And that thing was high quality! It worked from high school well into graduate school when I decided that because I was thirty, I could buy myself a new, non-pink. Walkman.

26. What's the furthest you've been from home? Vienna.

27. What did you do last night? Barbecued at a good friend's house, batted the bugs with our plates, and made s'mores over the grill.

28. Living arrangement? Spousal Unit and I live in a small-ish medium sized house built around 1865. We don't have pets, but have to pick up cat poop anyway because the crazy cat ladies next door have 8-10 feral ones they feed.

29. When was the last time you cried? I'm sure it wasn't all that long ago, because I tend to do it regularly, but I can't for the life of me remember.

30. What is under your bed? Tumblebunnies. (our term for the dust bunnies that have moved beyond cute little bunny stage and start to blow around the room with nice western background music whenever the fan turns on). A plastic box filled with wrapping paper and its related etcetera. An old haddock, cossack, ottoman -- I can never remember what those things are called. The bathroom scale so that I don't obsess. A piece of wood to level the bed because the floor isn't even.

31. Who is the friend you've had the longest? My mom.

32. Favorite smell? Lemons. Roses. Spousal Unit's neck. Sauteeing garlic. The earth just after it rains. The hint of spring in the air when the ground just barely starts to melt in March.

33. What are you afraid of? Everything.

34. Popcorn - plain, buttered, or salted? No thanks. I'll pass. I'd rather just floss for flossing's sake than eat something that is the virtual equivalent of flossing, and yet still requires a post-virtual flossing floss.

35. Favorite car? Our trusty blue Subaru Outback wagon.

38. Can you juggle? Nope. But, I could I grin and fake it if you want me to. We academics rarely admit that there are things we don't know, so we get pretty good at faking it.

39. Favorite day of the week? Saturday.

40. What did you do on your last birthday? Embarrassingly enough, I had to check the blog archives to remember last month. I had a great breakfast, went to work on my dissertation, got a lot done, and then had an amazing dinner with Spousal Unit -- scallops in Thai-blood orange reduction with coconut polenta and julliened vegetables.

41. How many states have you lived in? Five

42. How many cities have you lived in? Two, if you really mean city. Little townish like cities? Two. Rural hamlets? One.

43. How many countries have you lived in? One.

44. What was the first car you had? A blue '90 Mazda 626 my parents gave me at the end of college. I loved it and cried all the way back home on the subway after I had to sell it in a city because it couldn't pass inspection and I couldn't afford to fix it up. I still get sad when I see one on the road.

45. Where were you born? Indiana. But, I don't like to admit to having been born and raised in a red state.

46. If you were another person, would you be friends with you? I'd like to think so.

47. Do you have a journal? Nope. I hate reflective introspection. Unless it is public, of course.

48. Do you use sarcasm a lot? Absolutely not. I only speak (and write) in monotone. (See # 47)

49. What are your nicknames? I am utterly un-nicknameable. Cleis calls me Teflon for nicknames. Nobody even likes the doofy acronymic one I made up for myself as a pseudonym. (Could there be any more Ys in that sentence?)

50. Would you bungee jump? Oh, hell, no. (See # 33)

51. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off? Sometimes. For the same reason I don't wear contacts.

52. Do you think that you are strong? Yes. Absolutely. Just try me.

53. What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Vanilla with hot fudge. Or Oreo. Or pistachio. Or really deep dark chocolate. Or...

54. Shoe Size? 8.5-9, depends on the shoe.

55. What is your least favorite thing about yourself? See # 33.

56. The first thing you notice about the opposite sex? Oh, I'm Mawwied. I NEVER look at anyone other than Spousal Unit. Ha! (see # 48). Hair. Eyes. Smell. Noses. Vibe/karma.

57. Rolling Stones or Beatles? Beatles.

58. Do you have a special talent? When the mood strikes, I'm an inspired cook. (One night a few years ago, I just whipped up some chipotle-apricot glazed Cornish hens stuffed with southwestern cornbread pine-nut, sun-dried tomato, sausage stuffing because I thought the flavors would work well together. They did.) I also have a bionic nose. Sometimes, when Spousal Unit comes home at the end of the day I can identify what he had for lunch. It's a little freaky.

51. What is your ring tone? A mockery of an old-fashioned phone bell ring, back when phones were big wooden boxes with real bells inside of them and there was only one per house and it lived in the front hallway so the maid or butler could answer it without disturbing the family in the parlor.

2 comments:

At 10:58 PM Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for the smile at the end of a long week. Keep writing -- blog and dissertation, not necessarily in tbat order.

 
At 12:41 AM Scrivener said...

's funny that I had the exact same answer to #20, but I'm not even slightly sorta-kinda a Midwesterner. Your inspired meal sounds great, too! I can cook, and have made some pretty splendid meals if I do say so myself, but I need some sort of external guidance--at least some basics of a recipe that I can modify or riff off of. I almost never just toss stufff together to make a meal like that.

 

Post a Comment