I didn't report in yesterday because I had so much going on. Man, you give up the pajama-house-bound-novel-reading thing and suddenly, you've got things to do and places to go and people to see. Sheesh.

Thursday night, I finished the thing I had to do for my senior colleague and sent it to him. (Horay! But, I haven't heard back, so now I'm a little worried...) Spousal Unit, love of my life, did all of the dishes (it was starting to look and smell like we lived in a frat house.) I folded and put away all of the laundry and tidied the rest of the house. So, we started Friday off right.

I got up early (with SU) and left the house for breakfast -- which I've found is the only way to go. If I sit down to eat, I want something to read -- and because I'm eating I'm too distracted to read work if I'm at home. I know, its a weird little tic because when I'm at the coffee shop or the cafe or the restaurant eating breakfast, I'm perfectly capable of thinking about work as I eat. Maybe it is the utter and overwhelming silence that fills the house. Who knows. But, I'm going to go with it.

Anyway, I left the house, had a raspberry and cheese croissant and a milk at the cafe, then went to the quiet, out of the way library that absolutely nobody on campus knows about. (The librarian introduced herself since we were the only 2 people there, and then asked me to mind the shop while she went to the bathroom. It is that tiny and that deserted.) I worked there until they kicked me out for lunch, then I had a bento box at the local hibachi grill restaurant. (A bit of a disappointment.) But, I returned after lunch (having left a substantial chunk of my possessions there so I couldn't bail) and worked solid until they closed the library. At which point I ran 3 errands that I'd been needing to do, (including mailing 2 different things that required 2 different systems of mailing. Mailing stuff is VERY hard for me since it means voluntarily relinquishing control of things and trusting to these huge bureaucratic systems to take care of them. Yeah, right. They'll "send it to where it is going." Sure, they will...) Then, I went to the grocery to buy stuff for dinner and hit the video store. Oh, yeah, and in between I bought myself a milkshake. (I figure since I've only gained 10-ish lbs in 6 months of pregnancy due to the nausea and vomiting, I'm entitled.) When I got home, I called this person who had listed a mini co-sleeper on Craiglist and then went and bought it. Now, thank goodness, we have a place for the baby to sleep. When I got back, we cooked scallops and wild salmon with friends and watched "The 40-Year Old Virgin." (Which neither of us had seen, but which is hysterical and surprisingly honest and real about relationships. I was surprised. Oh, and Romany Malco is in it who I am totally crushed out on right now because of Weeds.)

SO -- it was a very full day. Particularly in comparison to my previous few days.

But, dissertation-wise, here is what I did:

1. Made a master list of what needs to be done, chapter by chapter.
2. Plotted out how much time each chapter needs.
3. Calculated how many weeks are left that I can reasonably devote to this. (10)
4. Arranged that time per chapter.
5. Set a deadline for the chapter I am currently working on. (July 1)
6. Detailed day-by-day what I will do for that chapter until then.

The first task is to bulk up some of my sources. Unfortunately, this involves reading the handwriting of a certain historic figure whose handwriting was compared by a contemporary to hieroglyphics. So, I sorted through these as best as I could, and figured out roughly which ones I need to actually struggle through and which ones won't yield as much. It was good -- it reduced my pile of overwhelming translations (sans Rosetta Stone) to a more reasonable stack. Today and tomorrow, I'm going to work through that stack and do some newspaper searching. (Google News Archives ROCKS my world!)

All in all, I'm in a pretty different place than I was on Thursday. And, I wasn't even tempted by a novel. I was just too tired by the end of the day.
----------------------------

Pregnancy Complaint of the Day: Kicking

The Gadlet does not like to sleep on its side. Every time I tried to roll over last night, it would kick the everliving shit out of whatever side was down, left, right, whatever. It kept me up a lot and made me pretty darn uncomfortable. Why, oh, why doesn't it like sleeping on its side? That whole Back to Sleep thing is only supposed to be important AFTER they come out! Plus, I have this fabulous new body pillow to support my whole self while I sleep that only took up valuable mattress realty while I laid on my back staring at the dark ceiling and cursing the little parasite.

5 comments:

At 7:59 PM Anonymous said...

An impressive day! Keep up the great work.

 
At 11:09 PM Scrivener said...

Yay for progress!

 
At 4:57 PM Anonymous said...

Great day! Sorry that rascal won't let you sleep.

 
At 5:23 PM RageyOne said...

wow! you had a busy day.

sorry you don't get enough sleep.

 
At 8:11 AM Zelda said...

yay, stewgad!

 

Post a Comment